Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Divine Role

I questioned myself many times about writing on this little blog of mine.
Only for the reason of I don't know if I'll continue.
I'm pretty regular at writing in a personal journal so I don't see the reason to do both- blog and journal write.
However, as I was driving home today from the grocery store I had a thought impress into my heart.
I wanted to write it down so I wouldn't forget.
But then I was reminded of my blog...my little neglected blog.

So here I am.

"By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children." (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)

The definition of nurture is to care for and encourage the growth or development of.

I think sometimes, as a working mom, I forget this very simple yet very crucial role I have.  I love my job, and to be honest, my job is very close to that of the role I have as a mother.  I nurture and care for sweet babies of other moms who have to work.  However, first and foremost, I am a mother to my own sweet boys.  I've heard it said that the mother sets the tone of the home.  If mom has a positive and uplifting attitude at home so will the rest of family.  I know I've seen it.  If I'm stressed out or overwhelmed or just fed up- my kids are extra whinny and grumpy.  But if I take a deep breath on those off days and have an attitude of happiness and enthusiasm then my kidlets seem to be more calm and happy as well.  I get it.  It's not easy all the time to be upbeat and happy, but seriously, it makes a difference.  This doesn't mean we have to be always entertaining our kids or anything.  If its an off day and we just want to relax, THAT'S OK!  We can't be so hard on ourselves.  Put on a movie or a favorite show, get the crayons out, set up a blanket on the floor...and just be lazy with the kids!  But we need to make sure our kids always feel our love for them.  We need to be there to encourage them and be their source of GOOD.

Being a mom can be tough.  It can be really tough.
really.
I can't help but feel incredibly blessed to have this role as a mom.

"Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)  

I was created for a purpose.  I was created as a female for a reason.  A very serious reason.  A reason that wouldn't be manifested to me, 100%, until I became a mother.  Now it makes sense.  It all makes perfect sense.  Being a mom...makes sense.  I feel blessed.  They say make sure you know who you are besides being a mom and wife.  It's easy to lose a sense of who you are when you get married and have kids and have more than just yourself to take care of and love.  However, I almost feel like I am finding myself as I grow into my role as a mother.  I'm becoming more and more of the daughter Heavenly Father knows I am.  


1 comment:

  1. What you do Haili is so important. I hope you always remember that and continue to remember that. There needs to be more people speaking out about how motherhood is such a noble job, there are so many people trying to tare it down. I was on facebook tonight and I read this

    http://thoughtcatalog.com/amy-glass/2014/01/i-look-down-on-young-women-with-husbands-and-kids-and-im-not-sorry/

    It makes me so sad that people feel this way. Keep doing an amazing job as a mother Haili. One day I will have that job (I look forward to it every single day). Please give kisses to both of your boys for me.

    XOXO
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete