Pages

Saturday, August 24, 2013

You are enough.


This is my niece, Layleigh.  I'm in love with her, and her perfect little self.  She's spunky, outgoing, sweet, fearless and kind.  I see these characteristics in her even though she is only a little girl right now.  My hope for my sweet niece is that she will find a young man one day who cherishes her for everything she is.

All the time I hear people say, "Be who you are.  Don't try and be somebody else."  I like that.  Obviously.  But a thought came to me today regarding being who you are.  Growing up, I didn't really know "who I was."  I looked up to several women in my life and  tried to be like them.  And I think  that's where it all begins.  We meet people in our lives who inspire us, and who we love to be around.  So we begin to want to be like them.  I think where the "be who you are or, better, be who you want to be" comes into play is when we find characteristics in those we admire and strive to build those within ourselves.  So, it's one thing to try to build who you want to be and another thing to try to be exactly like somebody else.  Does that make sense?  It makes perfect sense in my head, but I hope I can relay that in words properly.

We aren't born knowing who we are.  I am where I am now because of the person I strived to become in my adolescent.  I knew what kind of person I wanted to be, and I built my life doing things that helped me build on those characteristics I wanted to emulate.  When I look back I see times in my life where I obsessed over becoming somebody else, and the feelings I remember during those times aren't good ones.  Because I was trying so hard to be that person, instead of just finding what I loved about that person and learning how to incorporate that characteristic in my own self.  Those weren't good feelings because I was trying so desperately to be somebody else, and when it wasn't working I felt hopeless- I felt like I wasn't worth anything to anybody.  I was losing myself in the process of trying to become somebody else.


I obviously found my way.  I've found that becoming the person you want to be is a lifelong process.  We learn and we grow every day.  I've learned that my own thoughts and opinions matter.  I've learned that my voice is important.  Some people will like me for who I am and what I have to say and others wont.  And guess what?  That's okay.  I can't please everybody.  It's not possible.  Well, it is possible, but in order to do that I'd have to give up being me.  Because in order to please everybody I'd have to be like everybody, and that's not what I'm here to do.  God created me and gave me my voice for a reason.  I am enough.


2 comments:

  1. I love this last post honey....and I love love love that pic of you....that is beautiful....I want it for a frame.....I love you so much and I admire and respect who you have become....u are perfect to me.....mom

    ReplyDelete