Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

everlasting friendships

So I've been thinking a lot about friendships lately.
When something particular stays on my mind for a long time I tend to go to LDS.org to try and learn more about what Prophets and Apostles have to say about that specific topic.
So off I went.
I found this talk given by Marlin K. Jensen of the presidency of the seventy; given in the conference Ensign May of 1999.
In his talk he quotes the Prophet Joseph Smith,

"friendship is one of the grand fundamental principles of 'Mormonism.'"

After which, the apostle Marlin K. Jensen, goes on to say, 

"I think in all of us there is a profound longing for friendship, a deep yearning for the satisfaction and security that close and lasting relationships can give..."

Later in his talk he tells of a challenge we face as Latter-Day Saints in establishing and maintaining friendships.    

"Because our commitment to marriage, family, and the Church is so strong, we often feel challenged by constraints of time and energy in reaching out in friendship to others beyond that core group."

That statement made me very sad.  It's so true.  We get so caught up in our personal lives that we tend to neglect those sweet friendships we have outside of our immediate family.  Having good friends outside of that circle of family is so important.  Not only are those relationships important for us, but they are important for the other person as well.  And I really shouldn't say "outside of the family," because my friend Lizzie recently gave me a quote that said, "friends are the family we choose for ourselves."  I love that quote.  So my hopes are that we can genuinely love and care for our friends.  Create lasting relationships where both of you feel secure, loved and cared for.

"Brothers and sisters, my message today is very simple: if we truly want to be tools in the hands of our Heavenly Father in bringing to pass His eternal purposes, we need only to be a friend."


No comments:

Post a Comment