Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Embracing You

Haili already introduced us to our first weekend challenge, titled "Embracing You". This is my experience. I hope you all decided to take this challenge for yourself. It has made me rethink the direction I am going with my life.


My (Lizzie's) experience
We just moved into a new house, and with that move, we also changed church buildings. I thought to myself, "hey what a perfect way to embrace me". Sunday came and I got all dolled up, put on my nicest dress and went to church, ready to show people the "ME" that I thought I should be embracing. Well, that isn't how it worked out. I was totally uncomfortable. I was so focused with how I looked on the the outside that I forgot myself and who I really am. Needless to say, I left feeling less comfortable with who I am than when I started.


I decided to talk to my husband about it, he always seems to give me the best advise. I told him about challenge and asked him what I should talk about. He told me that I was going about it all wrong. That being completely comfortable with who you are doesn't help you be kind. Instead just the opposite, being kind helps you be comfortable with who you are. I started thinking about my own life. Usually the times when I feel the worst is when I am thinking only about myself. While on the alternative side, the time when I feel the best about myself is when I am serving others.That really made me change my idea of what embracing myself means. For me it is not that I am the prettiest, or the skinniest, or the funniest or the girl with the most friends. Instead I want to be known for


-my faith
-my kindness
-my integrity
-my virtue
-my love

It is one thing just to say that I want to be that way, it is another to actually act. I was reading our blog title last night and it hit me. When you start doing a bunch of little kind things your life starts change and your life starts to be defined by kindness.
Kindness isn't just an action, it's a way of living.

When we say that kindness is contagious, we mean that the virtue of kindness can be passed from one person to another. That when a kind person is around others people, they bring a light and a happiness that can't be created except by being kind, and other people will want to have that. We all know people like that. That is how Mandy was. That is the kind of person that I want to embrace. There are so many people in the world that need to be loved, that need to have their tears wiped away, and to know that they are children of God. We don't even have to look far to find people who need that, I am talking about with in the walls of our homes. That is far more important to me than the way I look, what clothes i am wearing, the car I drive, or the house I live in. Kindness doesn't have to be a big event. It can be as simple as making your family dinner, writing a nice note, or even 

"Go[ing] forward in life with a smile on your face a twinkle in your eye, but with great purpose in heart." - President Thomas S. Monson

Don't forget to participate in the challenge yourself. This week ask yourself, "how can I embrace myself." Then sometime this week write a post on your blog about it, then after you post it, copy the link and paste it onto our blog, on the previous post at the bottom. Then others will be able to then see what you did for your challenge. If you don't have a blog or would like to remain anonymous feel free to email your experience to allthepennies {at} gmail {dot} com and we will post your experience on our blog. You make this blog what it is, and we appreciate and treasure every single experience that you send us.

-Lizzie



No comments:

Post a Comment