Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What lack I yet?

I really can not fall asleep tonight, which figures seeing i have to leave the house by 6:20am in the morning for a Institute Meeting for the class presidencies!! I'm the class rep for my "Preparing for an Eternal Marriage" class. So since I have the luxury of havinng a laptop I am feeling like it's time for a blog post! I feel like such a slacker because the blogging world has overtaken my journal writting. I have not written in my journal for like a week now! It's just so much easier to type. Well not really at this point, because i just got my nails done and it's really hard to type!!! It's kind of frusterating me! I do kind of prefer writting on the blog though, because then maybe something I say may help somebody else. Unless it's super personal...then I write it in my journal!

So I have this institute teacher, and he is absolutely the most humble and most amazing teacher ever!! I am so lucky I have him again. I had him my senior year at the high school, and now he teaches at the college. I'm not exagerating one bit when I say he has taught me more than any teacher I have ever had! That's because he teaches from pure inspiration and by the Spirit. He follows the whisperings and I always gain so much more from him alone than anybody. Tonight he taught a lesson on, "Missing Ingredients."

In Matthew (in the bible) there is a story where He asks what he must do in order to gain eternal life. The Lord told him that he must keep the commandments. So the boy then replied, "Which?" The Lord answered and told him that he must keep the 10 commandments. The boy puzzled said, "I do all those things, what lack I yet?" Seeing that the boy desired to know, the Lord answered and said unto him the things which he needed to work on to become more like Him.

Brother Wilson pointed out something unique about those verses of scriptures to us tonight. They were verses of scripture that don't necessarily apply to us. What I mean by that is in answering the boy the Lord told him the exact things in which he needed to work on. He explained to the boy the "missing ingredient" in his life not in all of His childrens' lives. I remember a student in our class tonight saying that Matthew was a bit prideful by asking, "What lack I yet?" Which does, yes, kind of sound like he is saying he is perfect already...what else does he need to do?
I am personally so grateful for this lesson, because I have struggled with that concept for so long now. I mean, prideful is the last thing I want to be...but I have always asked myself, "What do I need to fix?" I could never think of anything. It was totally bothering me, because I knew I wasnt perfect, but I could never quite grasp what my "missing ingredient" was. On my way home from class I was listening to "Jenny Phillips" and truly pondered that question over and over. "What lack I yet?" Then all of these "missing ingredients" flowed into my mind. I wont go into details here, but I finally found things I can work on to become an even better me! The funny thing is, ordinarly if someone were to be hit with a load of things they could be better at...they would feel like shlum....but for me it made me feel like I was on top of the world. I can now finally start taking lessons from my Savior to better myself in areas in my life I need to work on. He let me know quietly what those things were, and I know that He will help me build myself up in those areas now. =)

You know what's great to have? A best friend...but a guy best friend. It's just so different than a girl best friend. It's a different kind of relationship, and guys tend to understand you better...to an extent. I seriously am so thankful for my best friend. He seems to understand me more than anybody. He and I have got each others back through anything. No matter the time of day or night if one of us needed the other...we'd be there as fast as we could. I know I can trust him when I tell him things...and his hugs will make your worse day seem like it never happened. I just can't put words to how much I care and appreciate him. He is just about one of the most amazing people in my life!! (ps. the picture...well if you knew Adam...you'd understand why he was um...hugging a pole? haha!!)
Adam you're amazing! You seriously have no idea how much of an influence you are in my life. Whenever I am with you, you make me feel like a better person. Whenever I have cool spiritual experiences you're the first person I want to share them with. You mean so much to me, and I am so grateful for your patience, and understanding, forgiveness and ability to stay stong in the Gospel through everything.


Isn't my best friend freaking gorgeous? You don't have to answer that, because I already know she is! We kind of just clicked from the start. I love her to death and am so thankful we found each other in this little place called H-Town!! I love ya Linds!!

No comments:

Post a Comment